The church was built in 1872 on the site of a fifth century Byzantine church. According to the Christian tradition, it is on this very spot that Mary and her new born baby Jesus rested on the way of their flight to Egypt, to escape King Herod’s Massacre of the Innocents. As Mary breastfed her child, a few drops of milk fell on the floor of the grotto and turned the stone white. Since then, the grotto has been visited by both locals and pilgrims from all over the world, Christians and non-Christians, and especially by couples who believe in Mary’s power to bless them with fertility. The display of votive letters and objects in anticipation of the healing powers of Mary is quite impressive.