The first Lutheran mission, or the British Evangelical Christians, arrived in Palestine around 1845. It was a time when Protestants were busy building schools, churches and other institutions to provide support and assistance to the local Christian community, and set a footprint in the Holy Land. The Lutheran Christmas Church was built in 1893 by Augusta Victoria, the wife of the German and King of Prussia, Emperor William II. The sanctuary is one the oldest Lutheran churches in Palestine. It is located on Madbasseh Street, adjacent to Dar Annadwa International Center, and across the street from the Salesian Convent and Church. The beautiful German-style stained glass windows depict stories from Bethlehem and the Holy Land and verses from the Holy Bible.